How to Care for our Jewelry
Because the gemstones we use are natural (unless otherwise noted) and not machine-made, each bead is unique and can vary dramatically in colour, shade, shape and texture. Even polished gemstones can sometimes have rough spots or tiny cracks. These irregularities are normal and won’t affect the longevity of your piece. They simply make your piece unique – just like you.
How to Care For Gemstone Jewelry
All handmade jewelry is delicate and needs to be treated with care, but if you look after your special pieces, they’ll last for years to come. Here are a few of our top tips to keep your Fierce Lynx Designs looking their best:
- Don’t wear your jewelry in water (in the shower or bath, while swimming, etc.). Minerals and chemicals in the water can build up on your jewelry and weaken it.
- Don’t wear your jewelry to bed or at the gym. It could catch and weaken or break.
- Some gemstones can build up a residue over time. This is normal. Wash them with warm water and mild dish detergent. Use a soft cloth or brush if needed. (Refer to this guide for the care of specific gems.)
- Avoid extreme temperatures when cleaning; very hot or cold water can crack softer gemstones.
- Avoid cleaning your gemstones with anything acidic. Even lemon juice can cause softer gemstones to crack.
- If you have an Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, research which gemstones are safely cleaned in it. Some stones will discolor permanently when cleaned in these devices.
- Always store your pieces separately to avoid them banging together and scratching. (Use the cloth bags we include in your order for this purpose.)
- Never leave your gemstones in direct sunlight for extended periods as this can fade their colors.
How to Care For Stretch Bracelets
The most common problem with stretch bracelets is the elastic cord will eventually wear over time which can result in breakage. To avoid this, please use the following tips:
- Don’t stretch your bracelet when putting it on. Instead, roll it over your hand and onto your wrist.
- Avoid exposing your stretch bracelet to chemicals like sunscreens, perfumes, salt water, and skin care products. These chemicals can degrade the elastic and shorten the life of your bracelet.
- Follow all the tips above for caring for gemstone jewelry